Thursday, September 4, 2008

Revolution OS - History and growth, Free vs Open.

As much as I hated documentary videos, Revolution OS running at 1 hour and 25 minutes, wasn't as bad as I thought I would take it.

Before I watched this video, I hardly know anything about GNU/Linux. The history spoken by the founders and early contributers has given me a well understanding of how it all began. From an OS made for personal use, to being used by a small group of people, and finally to being used by over 12 million people. Just from knowing the history, it had made me realize again, how if you make something good, it can go big. I mean, look at Linux, in just a couple of years, the success of it has exploded.

The Free vs "Free" concept was a little mind boggling at first. I mean, if it's free, it's free, what more is there to it. I guess it was just a wrong choice of word to discribe it. When you hear "free", everyone would automatically think free as in 0$, that's just how we are, especially when you call it "Free Software". If they renamed it as "Open Source" sooner, I would think their success could have boomed a lot sooner.

As an end, I must applaud their "Free Software Song". I really didn't think they would have that coming. Along with the history, the definitions, the concepts, and some inside stories, this documentary was quite amusing and fun to watch.

If you watch and listen carefully enough, you might catch some of the jokes they try to make.

No comments: