Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Festival Intro = Lecture?

Was it just me or did the video seem to be focused more on the festival more than about getting started with Open Source? The analogy used was pretty good, but too much time was spent on explaining what the festival is.

I was at a bit of a lost through... pretty much most parts of the video. The whole time, I've been thinking, "is this the right video? It should be, I see Dave...Maybe it's something I missed, I'm sure it'll get back to open source." Until eventually, I see the connection between the festival and the open source. Even then, the talk seemed more focused on the festival more than anything else.

The festival was a good analogy to use, I mean, you have lots of people in the community, you're being overwhelmed with the surrounding, and not knowing what's going on. But was it necessary to spend half the lecture time talking about the festival? I hope the lecture was more focused on open source, like the Revolution OS video or even our 1st lecture.

Nonetheless, I did endure it and watched the entire lecture including the QA section. And I must say I appreciate the time and effort Dave puts into the OSD classes, renewing the material every term. I wish all classes renew their materials every term too.

Getting started in Open Source projects, or "Learning to be at the festival" (on-line lecture) by David Humphrey (given at Mozilla24 in Stanford): mp4

1 comment:

Tony Lai said...

A little harsh!
Yes there was a lot of talk on festivals but there were some good information in there too!

I think you mentally blocked out everything after tuning out from the festival talk. But can't blame you for that. After all, I agree the whole talk about festivals was dragged on for far too long.

For me, the quality of the video (picture) and the fact that I had to turn the volume to the max (and it had no right audio channel) was the worst part of the lecture.