Thursday, November 6, 2008

The 0.2 Release Hurdle

Just when I thought the work on 0.2 has been going smoothly, I've run into a bump now. So here's what's been going on with the 0.2 release.

- been following up on the suggestions posted on bugzilla
- tried using Process Explorer to track process spawned during mozilla build
- research other apps that can log (Process Explorer can't log)
- found Process Monitor
- logged process spawned during mozilla build
- updated bugzilla


At first, when I was trying out Process Explorer, it doesn't seem to do what I needed, but after a bit more tweaking, I finally got it to show the process name, pid, ppid, time, and duration. However, I couldn't find the most important function, which was logging. I mean, that was the main thing I was trying to get - a log of the processes and their info.

So then, I dug around the Internet, and stumbled upon a similar app called Process Monitor. The tool is great, it's the perfect thing I needed. It shows all the things I needed, and I can even filter out what I want to see. The best thing is, I could export the log out in different formats like CSV and XML. But then, the program always crashes whenever I track down the processes during firefox build. Of course, the first problem that came to mind was that maybe it's incompatible with Vista, which usually is the case I find. After doing some reading, found out that it wasn't the case, Process Monitor was are built to support the later platforms. Then suddenly, EUREKA~! I notice that it's trying to show Registry Activity, File System Activity, Network Activity, and Process And Thread Activity. So I thought, it must be lagging so much from all these info it's trying to show that it's crashing. I turned all the others and showed only Process and Thread Activity, tried recapturing during the build, and SUCCESS.

I've posted a brief description of this log on bugzilla (since the CSV log is about 112 MB), and have gotten reply from Benjamin asking for possibly more information in the log, or more accurate data.

So now, I've going back to try and find those data. Hopefully I won't need to find another app to do this.

No comments: